Thursday, May 13, 2010

Get With The Program!

I'm getting plump. Well, if I haven't, I will be. What with two months to spend with no chance of running and mum's neverending love and cooking, I decided to get realistic and IMPROVISE. To those who have been pestering me with "how did you do it?" Well, get off that couch and turn that boob tube off - get with the program already!

#1: SET GOALS.
Slip into those skinnies, be 10kg thinner, wheeze a LOT less while shopping - all these are called goals. You may set any that you want, but make sure they're realistic. And SAFE. Losing 10kg IS REALISTIC, but not SAFE if you only have one week. That's called crash dieting, and it is not safe!

For me, I've given up trying to be ultra skinny. It is not in my genes. So I have forsaken that goal, and these are the new mantra: Be healthily-built: aim not for Nicole Richie, but the healthy, sexy Katherine Heigl.

be this!

NOT this.

Why women as role models, you may ask? Well, most male celebs are either (a) aiming to get ripped; (b) are blessed with natural skinny-ness; or (c) shamelessly jiggling. I do not aim to be ripped, I am not blessed with skinny genes (no pun intended), and I refuse to jiggle!!! All these brings me to the main aim: BE REALISTIC. Besides, Katherine's H-O-T.

SUMMARY: Set realistic goals to keep you on track.

#2: WATCH WHAT YOU EAT.
"Ooh, I'm going on a diet," "Ooh, I won't eat this/that/anything." Just saying these won't make you instantly skinny; you have to do something. Well, living in Malaysia may be a blessing and a curse when it comes to food: we have all these tasty delicacies up for grabs, thanks to our diverse culture and multitude of races. We won't be able to hold off that beloved Nasi Lemak. That plate of Char Kuey Teaw will always whisper sweet nothings to you.

GOOD NEWS PALS! Denying yourself of food is not the way to good health - just take it in moderation. Be like the French: enjoy every bite, savor the food as if it is an expensive delicacy you may eat once in a lifetime. You'll feel full with less, instead of wondering whether you've had lunch/dinner a few hours later.

The basic rule still applies: More fruits and vegetables!!!

yummy!

To those who love fast food (like yours truly), you may have your share of double cheeseburger or a Dinner Plate. For me, if I'd wanna have me some McD, I make sure I (a) have a killer workout the day/few hours before; (b) have less food before the McD; or (c) have less food after the McD. Just keeping it all balanced without denying yourself of food. If you have a dinner date/annual dinner/get together/any events with lotsa food, get protein and skip the carbs; have an array of food in small amounts, and do a cleanse/fast the day after.

WATER WATER WATER. It's important. And ask yourself whenever you have hunger pangs: "Am I hungry or thirsty?" Most of the time it's just thirst. We don't drink enough water in our daily lives. Especially us in the equatorial region. Oh, and some facts:

- No point in buying bottled/mineral water. You're just drinking plain water but paying more for it. Just read the source of water.
- RO water is good. You can skip the minerals; you can obtain those from food.
- This applies to PLAIN water, not air bandung/sirap limau/orange juice that is often seen accompanying meals.

SUMMARY: Don't restrict, but regulate food intake. Remember to offset unhealthy food intake with healthy options the day after.

#3 E-X-E-R-C-I-S-E.
Keeping your diet of salad greens and coffee won't help you get that bombshell body. You've got to work for it! We are all civilised, grown-up people; where and when did they say that getting what we want is easy? We still need to work for it no matter what. So, in addition to keeping tab on what you eat, you need to shape up those jiggly parts!

Thankfully I have my trusty resistance bands (for workouts on the go), and and body weight training (from my PLKN days). I also have my running (when I'm in campus). I still have gym-phobia, so going to one is out of the question. If you haven't have one exercise plan yet, do get one. Types of exercise is as follows:

- Cardio: Great fat-burner. Aerobics, Running, Cycling, basically anything that gets your heartbeat elevated. Great for stamina and endurance too.
- Weights: Great for toning the body and round-the-clock weight loss. Why round-the-clock?When you train muscles, you will gain a great calorie-burning tool. Muscles need more energy to be sustained than fat. Plus, you'll look more lean and toned, not saggy.

A combo of both is best; but whatever you do, don't forget to stretch!

SUMMARY: Incorporate exercise into your regimen. No buts! Start off easy, and don't forget to stretch!

Three basic steps to a better body. goals, good food choices and exercise. Saying "No time-lah" is bullsh!t. You would have plenty of time when you stop bitching about having no time to do something healthy. Instead of the bus/car, walk home from class. Send that memo to a colleague by walking to his/her cubicle, no emailing. Take a walk at lunch. Stand up and let the old lady sit in your place when in an LRT/waiting for your turn at the bank. Little things do add up to your efforts in achieving good health.

disclaimer: please consult your physicians before embarking on any exercise program. the author will not be responsible for any problems faced by readers. these are only advice given from the author's knowledge and experience.


2 comments:

Sherre said...

u know wat? i just got consult with a personal trainer at the gym and she said exactly wat u wrote. EXACTLY!

Unknown said...

LOL...die bce blog ak kot. HAHAHAHA~

im just speaking from psonal experience and wat i myslf do to lose weight :D